Wednesday, May 2, 2012

Introductory Post v.2

Introduction


I'm also a 24 year old Singaporean male, and was referred to in the previous introductory post as the friend who enrolled at Evolve PoMo together with Daryl. We both rapidly got hooked on MMA and he invited me to contribute to this blog in order to chronicle both our experiences with Evolve and MMA in general.

Background


Unlike Daryl, I have no previous martial arts experience. We both achieved our first stripe in BJJ at the same time, but I am currently on a two-month hiatus from Evolve as I have gone overseas to the UK to visit my fiancee. BJJ is very much like physical chess, which appeals greatly to me as it isn't just about winning by using brute force and athleticism, but also by outwitting or tricking your opponent in order to create openings for you to exploit.

Physical Fitness


I'm a regular in the Republic of Singapore Navy, and a certain standard of physical fitness is expected. However, I have experienced many injuries in the past, including dislocating my shoulder (the most commonly repeated injury) and many others, which has led my physical fitness to be somewhat under par. I was overweight not too long ago (about 95 - 100kg at my heaviest, and I'm only 180cm tall), but ever since joining Evolve, I've lost about 12kg from Feb to April and now weigh about 83kg. Hopefully the weight loss continues, but more importantly, the MMA lessons have me feeling fitter and better about myself than I have in a long time.

Aims


Beyond chronicling what we learn in Evolve, I also hope to keep a record of just how I transform (hopefully) from an overweight, sedentary computer gaming nerd into a much fitter person with a lot more interest in life beyond computer games. I'm currently in the UK and working out at a normal (non-MMA) gym in order to continue building up my physical fitness even if I cannot do MMA, and this is something which would never have occurred to me to do in the past, so I already have MMA and Evolve to thank for that change in my life and mindset. 

No comments:

Post a Comment